What is the purpose of Form I-131A, Application for Travel Document (Carrier Documentation)?


U.S. law requires transportation carriers like airlines to make sure all passengers traveling to the United States be in possession of a valid passport and any required visa. If you are a lawful permanent resident or conditional resident who has traveled outside the United States, you may use your permanent resident card (green card) or a reentry permit in place of a visa. If the card or permit was lost, stolen, destroyed or mutilated, you will most likely experience difficulties when you attempt to return to the U.S.

Form I-131A, Application for Travel Document (Carrier Documentation), allows individuals in this situation to apply for a temporary document to board the carrier. The travel document comes in the form of a boarding foil placed in the applicant's passport or a transportation letter. The holder of the travel document may present the document to the carrier destined for the United States. Generally, a travel document is generally valid for 30 days from the date of issuance.

Did you know minor mistakes on your I-131A application can result in costly delays?
Prepare your I-131A online with us in only 10 minutes. We guide you through the complete application process and provide help to answer questions such as this one. Our personalized filing instructions will allow you to file your complete application today knowing that you did everything right!

Source: USCIS


Have more questions? Submit a request


Powered by Zendesk