I never received my green card in the mail.


If you never received your green card in the mail, you will need to file Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card, to replace it.

My previous card was issued but never received.

If your permanent resident card (green card) was issued by USCIS but never received, you do not have to pay a filing fee as long as you meet ALL these criteria:

  • USCIS mailed the card over 30 days ago;
  • It was returned to USCIS as undeliverable; AND
  • You have not moved from the address you provided USCIS.

Contact USCIS or check your receipt number online to determine if you meet the above criteria.

My previous card has been lost, stolen or destroyed.

If you do not meet ALL of the above criteria, you will need to select "My card has been lost, stolen, or destroyed." In this case, you will be required to pay the USCIS filing fee and biometrics fee.

Did you know minor mistakes on your I-90 application can result in costly delays?
Prepare your I-90 online with us in only 15 minutes. We guide you through the complete application process and provide help to answer questions such as this one. Our personalized filing instructions will allow you to file your complete application today knowing that you did everything right!

Unfortunately, there is very little recourse unless you can prove that failing to receive the card was the fault of USCIS. In some cases, it may have been lost by the U.S. Post Office or may have been stolen. You may file a grievance with the U.S. Post Office and file a police report. But it's unlikely to produce results.

The best prevention is to provide USCIS with a safe mailing address where there has been no history of theft. 

Source: USCIS

Green Card Center
Find additional support articles and permanent resident information in the Green Card Center
How to Read a Green Card | How to Replace/Renew a Green Card
New Green Card on 14th Birthday | What Happens After Filing Form I-90

Have more questions? Submit a request


Powered by Zendesk