How can I petition my child for a green card?


U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents can both help their children get permanent resident status (green card). It all starts by filing Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative. However, before beginning the process, the petition should understand the basics:

A U.S. citizen can file Form I-130 for:

  • Unmarried son or daughter of any age
  • Married son or daughter of any age

But a lawful permanent resident can only file Form I-130 for an unmarried son or daughter (any age). Permanent residents cannot petition a married son or daughter.

There is no visa category for married children of permanent residents. If an unmarried son or daughter marries before the permanent resident becomes a U.S. citizen, any pending Form I-130 petition filed for that son or daughter will be automatically revoked by USCIS.

Source: USCIS


Have more questions? Submit a request


Powered by Zendesk