How does an Adjustment of Status applicant get the Form I-131 fee waived?


Adjustment of Status applicants generally do not need to pay the Form I-131 fee for an Advance Parole Document or Refugee Travel Document.

When filing Form I-131, Application for Travel Document, you do not need to include the USCIS fee if you:

  • are filing Form I-131 for a Refugee Travel Document (Part 2, 1b) or Advance Parole Document (Part 2, 1d); AND
  • already filed (or are concurrently filing) a Form I-485 (Application to Adjust Status) on or after July 30, 2007, with a fee; AND
  • the Form I-485 is still pending.

Filing a cover letter with Form I-131 that explains your situation can facilitate the process. CitizenPath provides a sample cover letter for Adjustment of Status applicants that can be customized to fit your needs.

advance parole adjustment of statussample cover letter

Download the I-131 Sample Cover Letter for Adjustment of Status applicants.

Have more questions? Submit a request


Powered by Zendesk