What is Advance Parole?


advance parole i-512

Advance parole is a form of temporary travel authorization. Non-immigrants in the United States (such as adjustment of status applicants, TPS beneficiaries, DACA, refugees/asylees, etc) must acquire Advance Parole to get permission to re-enter the United States after traveling abroad without jeopardizing their status. Advance parole works like a visa when entering the U.S.

Unlike a Re Entry Permit, an Advance Parole Document is printed on a standard, letter-size piece of paper and is also referred to as Form I-512L, Authorization for Parole of an Alien into the United States.

For applicants who apply for advance parole together with an Employment Authorization Document (EAD), USCIS issues a "combo card", a version of the EAD card which contains the words "SERVES AS I-512 ADVANCE PAROLE."

Lawful permanent residents (green card holders) and conditional permanent residents do not need to apply for Advance Parole. Permanent residents may travel abroad without special permission. A Re Entry Permit is needed by permanent residents that travel abroad for more than one year, but not more than two years. 

To obtain advance parole, the applicant should file Form I-131, Application for Travel Document, and receive approval before traveling. Advance parole must be approved before the applicant leaves the United States.

Source: USCIS

Have more questions? Submit a request


Powered by Zendesk