What is "disposition" on Form I-131?


If you have ever been issued a Re Entry Permit or Refugee Travel Document, you will need to explain what happened to it before USCIS will issue a new one. Disposition (Part 3, Question 4.c. on Form I-131, Application for Travel Document) requires the applicant to explain.

USCIS will not issue a new travel document to someone who already has a valid travel document, unless the document has been returned to USCIS or has been lost, stolen or destroyed.

  • If the travel document expired, enter “expired” and no further action is required.
  • If you still have the valid (unexpired) travel document, you must return it to USCIS with the new Form I-131, Application for Travel Document.
  • If the travel document was never received; was lost or stolen; or was destroyed or mutilated; or any other reason, you can provide statement to explain.

Here’s a sample statement to explain a destroyed travel document:


[insert address]

I am providing this statement to explain the whereabouts of my previously issued travel document. 

  1. I previously had a travel document that was dated xx/xx/xxxx.
  2. Last month, I put it in the washing machine on accident.
  3. The document was destroyed.

I swear, under penalty of perjury, that the foregoing is true and correct to the best of my knowledge.




Did you know minor mistakes on your Form I-131 can result in costly delays?
Prepare your I-131 online with us in about 15 minutes. We guide you through the complete application process and provide help to answer questions such as this one. Our personalized filing instructions will allow you to file your complete application today knowing that you did everything right!

This is one example for one situation. If the document was mutilated, it may be helpful to include a photocopy. If it was stolen, include a police report if available. These are examples of additional evidence that help prove your situation when filing Form I-131, Application for Travel Document.

Source: USCIS

Have more questions? Submit a request


Powered by Zendesk