I am eligible for naturalization as a 5-year permanent resident and 3-year rule. Which is a better path?


Some people have been permanent residents for at least 5 years while also being married to a U.S. citizen spouse. In this case, they would qualify for either eligibility category. Most people choose to apply as 5-year permanent residents. There is less paperwork and less scrutiny from USCIS because they don’t need to verify the merits of the marriage.

Compare the requirements on the Citizenship Requirements Comparison. 

Did you know minor mistakes on your N-400 application can result in costly delays?
Prepare your N-400 with us in about 40 minutes. CitizenPath guides you through the complete application process and provides help to answer questions such as this one. Our personalized filing instructions will allow you to file your application today knowing that you did everything right!

 Source: USCIS

Citizenship Resource Center
Find additional support articles and naturalization information in the Citizenship Resource Center
Naturalization Requirements  |  Citizenship Cost Calculator
What Happens After Filing N-400  |  How to Prepare for Citizenship Test
Citizenship Blog Articles

No credit card or sign up required.

Have more questions? Submit a request


Powered by Zendesk