Will USCIS waive the I-90 fee if I can't afford it?


Yes, USCIS does provide a fee waiver on several applications if you meet certain criteria. You will need to file Form I-912, Request for Fee Waiver, and prove an "inability to pay" the fee.

To prove that you meet the "inability to pay" requirement, one of the following must be true:

  • you are receiving a means-tested benefit from a state or federal agency; or
  • you have a household income at or below 150% of federal poverty guidelines, or
  • you are suffering financial distress (e.g. high medical bills).

If you are receiving public assistance, provide proof and USCIS should grant the waiver. If you qualify based on income below 150% of the poverty level, a copy of your last year’s federal tax return will provide proof of income. For other claims, submit proof of your income and expenses. You can find a link to the poverty guidelines at uscis.gov/i-912p.

File Form I-912 (fee waiver) on top of Form I-90. That way USCIS won’t think that you forgot to include the filing fee.

Green Card Center
Find additional support articles and permanent resident information in the Green Card Center
How to Read a Green Card | How to Replace/Renew a Green Card
New Green Card on 14th Birthday | What Happens After Filing Form I-90

Have more questions? Submit a request


Powered by Zendesk