What is Form I-131, Application for Travel Document?


Form I-131, Application for Travel Document, is used to apply for a Re Entry Permit, Refugee Travel Document or Advance Parole.

Re Entry Permit

A lawful permanent resident normally may travel outside the United States and return, but there are some limitations. A Re Entry Permit can help prevent two types of problems:

  • Your green card (permanent resident card) becomes technically invalid for reentry into the United States if you are absent from the U.S. for one year or more. 
  • Your U.S. permanent residence may be considered as abandoned for absences shorter than one year if you take up residence in another country. 

Refugee Travel Document

A person with refugee or asylum status who wishes to travel outside the United States needs a Refugee Travel Document in order to return to the United States. In most cases, a refugee or asylee may use the Refugee Travel Document for travel in place of a passport. The Refugee Travel Document is similar in appearance to a U.S. passport.

Advance Parole

Certain people in other immigration statuses can use Advance Parole as permission to re-enter the United States after traveling abroad. Examples of other statuses include Adjustment of Status applicants, persons with a deferred action grant like DACA, and persons applying or approved for temporary protected status. Other status include U visas and persons with a grant of LIFE Act Family Unity Program benefits. 

Have more questions? Submit a request


Powered by Zendesk