How do I replace a green card that has been lost, stolen or destroyed?


If your green card has been lost, stolen or destroyed, you will need to file Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card.

For more information, read My Green Card Was Lost or Stolen.

Did you know minor mistakes on your I-90 application can result in costly delays?
Prepare your I-90 online with us in only 15 minutes. We guide you through the complete application process and provide help to answer questions such as this one. Our personalized filing instructions will allow you to file your complete application today knowing that you did everything right!

If your green card has been lost, stolen or destroyed while traveling outside the United States, you will need to obtain a transportation letter or boarding foil to return to the U.S. on a transportation carrier. U.S. law requires transportation carriers like airlines to make sure all passengers traveling to the United States be in possession of a valid passport and any required visa. You can obtain this essential travel documentation by filing Form I-131A, Application for Travel Document (Carrier Documentation), at the nearest U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate.


Green Card Center
Find additional support articles and permanent resident information in the Green Card Center
How to Read a Green Card | How to Replace/Renew a Green Card
New Green Card on 14th Birthday | What Happens After Filing Form I-90

Have more questions? Submit a request


Powered by Zendesk