Help! I can’t find my A-Number.


If you do not have any USCIS documentation with your Alien Registration Number (A-Number), there is another option for recovering the number.

You may request access to your immigration file at USCIS to obtain your A-Number.

How can I get a copy of my A-Number?

File a Form G-639, Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Request to get access to your own immigration file at USCIS. This simple request can be used to get a copy of your A-Number or even your entire immigration file. CitizenPath can help you prepare Form G-639, FOIA Request for a very low cost. Once prepared, it is free to file. Get started now.

Can I request another person's A-Number?

Yes, you can request access to the immigration file of another person. However, you will generally need the signed permission from that person to receive immigration records. There are exceptions if you can provide proof of death or the subject of the search is your own child.

How long will it take to get a copy of my A-Number?

You can prepare Form G-639, FOIA Request on CitizenPath in about 10 minutes and mail it to USCIS today. Once filed, it will generally take a few weeks to receive a response if you keep the request simple. (A request for a complete immigration file or more complex request will typically require more time.) Get started now.

Additional FOIA Resources

Types of Records that Can Be Obtained
Freedom of Information Request Guide
Start G-639 FOIA Request Now

Have more questions? Submit a request


Powered by Zendesk