What should I send with Form I-751 to provide proof of a good faith marriage?


Submit evidence indicating that the marriage upon which you were granted conditional status was entered in “good faith” and was not for the purpose of circumventing immigration laws. Submit copies of as many documents as you can to establish this fact and to demonstrate the circumstances of the relationship from the date of marriage to the present date, and to demonstrate any circumstances surrounding the end of the relationship, if it has ended.

All couples should consider this requirement from the beginning of the marriage. Proving a good faith marriage should start on day one so that you have sufficient evidence to establish your genuine marriage.

Did you know minor mistakes on your I-751 petition can result in costly delays?
Prepare your I-751 with us in about 20 minutes. We guide you through the complete petition and provide help to answer questions such as this one. Our personalized filing instructions will allow you to file your complete application today knowing that you did everything right! Get started.

The documents may include, but aren't limited to, the following examples:

  • Birth certificate(s) of child(ren) born to the marriage.
  • Lease or mortgage contracts showing joint occupancy and/or ownership of your communal residence.
  • Financial records showing joint ownership of assets and joint responsibility for liabilities, such as:
    • joint savings and checking accounts with transaction history
    • joint credit card statements
    • joint Federal and State tax returns
    • joint insurance policies that show the other spouse as the beneficiary
    • joint utility bills
    • title of car showing joint ownership
    • other joint loans
  • Any other documents that you consider relevant to establish that your marriage was not entered for the purpose of evading U.S. immigration laws.
  • Affidavits (Read How to Write an I-751 Affidavit Letter of Support) sworn to or affirmed by at least two people who have known both of you since your conditional residence was granted and have personal knowledge of your marriage and relationship. (Such persons may be required to testify before an immigration officer as to the information contained in the affidavit.) The original affidavit must be submitted and also contain the following information regarding the person making the affidavit:
    • his or her full name and address; and
    • date and place of birth; and
    • relationship to you or your spouse; and
    • details explaining how the person acquired his or her knowledge.
  • 10-20 photographs of married couple together. Examples could include wedding photos, traveling, special events with family and friends, etc. (You should also hand write the place, names and dates on the back of photos.)

All of the evidence above is made more effective if it starts at the time the marriage began up to the present time. Affidavits should be supported by other types of evidence listed above.

Have more questions? Submit a request


Powered by Zendesk