Can I travel with DACA status?


If you are granted Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), you are generally free to travel within the United States. However, it is always wise to be aware (and even avoid) if traveling in states that are against DACA. When traveling, you should always carry the following identification:

  • Your proof of deferred action (DACA)
  • Your Employment Authorization Card (work permit)
  • A state ID/driver's license (if available) or passport

In general, you should avoid traveling abroad with DACA. If travel outside the U.S. is necessary, you will first need to obtain permission by acquiring advance parole (use Form I-131, Application for Travel Document). Advance parole may be granted for humanitarian, education and employment purposes. You should always consult an immigration attorney before filing for advance parole. If you choose to travel abroad without advance parole, your DACA status will be terminated upon trying to re-enter the United States.

Learn more about Traveling with DACA

DACA Resource Center
Find additional support articles and deferred action information in the DACA Resource Center
Social Security Number | Driver License | Travel with DACA
When to Renew DACA  |  What Happens After Filing Form I-821D

Have more questions? Submit a request


Powered by Zendesk