What should I do if my conditional green card has already expired?


If Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence, is not filed before your green card expires, you can automatically lose your permanent resident status.

However if you fail to file through no fault of your own, you may file late with a written explanation and request that USCIS excuse the late filing. Failure to file before the expiration date may be excused if you demonstrate when you submit the petition that the delay was due to extraordinary circumstances beyond your control and the length of the delay was reasonable.

If you do have a compelling reason to file late, you should respond immediately. And you should consider contacting an immigration attorney that can guide you through this process.

Have more questions? Submit a request


Powered by Zendesk