Can I travel outside the U.S. with Temporary Protected Status?


Yes, but before traveling outside the U.S. with TPS, you need approval from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). To apply for this permission, complete and file Form I-131, Application for Travel Document. Upon approval, you will receive a travel document known as “Advance Parole.” This document will allow you to travel abroad and to return to the U.S. within the time period for which you are authorized. This permit is often authorized for multiple reentries, but you can remain outside the U.S. for only a total of 90 days.

Failure to obtain your Advance Parole document and return within the approved dates, will likely result in the loss of Temporary Protected Status.

Have more questions? Submit a request


Powered by Zendesk