Does my child need a new green card at age 14?


A permanent resident child is required by law to apply for a new green card within 30 days of his/her 14th birthday. To do so, he/she is must file Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card, with the help of parents.

Did you know minor mistakes on your I-90 application can result in costly delays?
Prepare your I-90 online with us in only 15 minutes. We guide you through the complete application process and provide help to answer questions such as this one. Our personalized filing instructions will allow you to file your complete application today knowing that you did everything right!

Although inconvenient for many parents, it is wise to get a timely replacement so that an out-of-date green card does not delay travel plans or hamper the naturalization process. In fact, there are several reasons you should update your child's green card at age 14: Read Register for a New Green Card on 14th Birthday.

Green Card Center
Find additional support articles and permanent resident information in the Green Card Center
How to Read a Green Card | How to Replace/Renew a Green Card
New Green Card on 14th Birthday | What Happens After Filing Form I-90

Have more questions? Submit a request


Powered by Zendesk