Who is eligible to apply for a work permit?


If you are a lawful permanent resident, conditional permanent resident or a nonimmigrant authorized to be employed with a specific employer under 8 CFR 274a.12(b), you do not need to file Form I-765. You are already authorized to work in the U.S.

Certain aliens who are in the United States may file Form I-765 to request an Employment Authorization Document (work permit). Deferred Action and Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) applicants file Form I-765 along with the I-821D package.

Download a List of I-765 Eligibility Categories or get started with a simple, step-by-step tool for preparing Form I-765.

Have more questions? Submit a request


Powered by Zendesk