How are physical and mailing address different on Form I-90?


Your physical address is the address where you live. Generally, all permanent residents should have a U.S. address. Exceptions may include permanent residents in commuter status or a lawful permanent resident converting to commuter status. In these rare cases, the applicant would have a foreign address near a U.S. border.

Did you know minor mistakes on your I-90 application can result in costly delays?
Prepare your I-90 online with us in only 15 minutes. We guide you through the complete application process and provide help to answer questions such as this one. Our personalized filing instructions will allow you to file your complete application today knowing that you did everything right!

Your mailing address is where you prefer to receive mail. If your mailing address is different than your physical address, list your complete mailing address in the spaces provided. You may list a valid residence, APO, C/O, or commercial address in the United States. This may be a Post Office address (P.O. Box) if that is how you receive your mail. If your mail will be sent to someone other than yourself, you should include an “In Care of Name” as a part of your mailing address.

Again, most applicants should have a U.S. address. USCIS will not mail a new green card to a foreign address. If you list a foreign address because you are a commuter, your green card will be sent to the applicable port-of-entry.

Green Card Center
Find additional support articles and permanent resident information in the Green Card Center
How to Read a Green Card | How to Replace/Renew a Green Card
New Green Card on 14th Birthday | What Happens After Filing Form I-90

Have more questions? Submit a request


Powered by Zendesk