What if my name has changed since my existing green card was issued?


If your name has legally changed since the issuance of your Permanent Resident Card (green card), use your new legal name on Form I-90. However, check “Yes” when asked if your name has been legally changed and answer the follow up questions. Your new green card will be issued in your new legal name.

Did you know minor mistakes on your I-90 application can result in costly delays?
Prepare your I-90 online with us in only 15 minutes. We guide you through the complete application process and provide help to answer questions such as this one. Our personalized filing instructions will allow you to file your complete application today knowing that you did everything right!

You will be required to submit a copy of the original court order reflecting your name or a copy of your original marriage certificate, divorce decree, birth certificate, adoption decree, passport or applicable court documents, etc. Legal name change documents submitted as evidence of a name change must have been registered with the proper civil authority.

Green Card Center
Find additional support articles and permanent resident information in the Green Card Center
How to Read a Green Card | How to Replace/Renew a Green Card
New Green Card on 14th Birthday | What Happens After Filing Form I-90

Have more questions? Submit a request


Powered by Zendesk