If my green card expires, can I still apply for naturalization with Form N-400?


Applicants for naturalization may file Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, with an expired green card (officially known as a permanent resident card). You are not required by law to apply for a new card. Read more in Apply for Citizenship with an Expired Green Card.

Did you know minor mistakes on your N-400 application can result in costly delays?
Prepare your N-400 with us in about 40 minutes. CitizenPath guides you through the complete application process and provides help to answer questions such as this one. Our personalized filing instructions will allow you to file your application today knowing that you did everything right!

However, if your green card has been lost or stolen, you will need to replace it before filing Form N-400. Use Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card. Approximately 2-3 weeks after filing Form I-90, USCIS will mail you Form I-797, Notice of Action. The Notice of Action is like a receipt that proves you filed Form I-90 successfully. Once you have the Form I-797, Notice of Action, you may file N-400, Application for Naturalization.

At the Oath Ceremony, USCIS will take your green card and provide you with a Certificate of Naturalization, proof of U.S. citizenship.

Citizenship Resource Center
Find additional support articles and naturalization information in the Citizenship Resource Center
Naturalization Requirements  |  Citizenship Cost Calculator
What Happens After Filing N-400  |  How to Prepare for Citizenship Test
Citizenship Blog Articles

No credit card or sign up required.

Have more questions? Submit a request


Powered by Zendesk