How to I prove that I'm reestablishing domicile in the U.S. on Form I-864?


If you are sponsoring an immigrant for a green card on Form I-864, Affidavit of Support, you must have domicile in the United States. Generally, to claim U.S. domicile, you must be living in the United States (to include the District of Columbia and U.S. territories) and plan to maintain a principal residence in the U.S. for the foreseeable future. (Certain individuals living overseas temporarily or who are working for specific types of employers may also be able to claim U.S. domicile.)

However, if you are an I-864 sponsor that no longer has domicile in the United States, you must provide evidence that you intend in good faith to reestablish your U.S. domicile no later than the date of the intending immigrant’s admission or adjustment of status. Examples of acceptable documents include:

  • A declaration that you intend to reestablish U.S. domicile 
  • Accepting a job in the United States
  • Signing a lease or purchasing a residence in the United States
  • Registering children in U.S. schools
  • Any other documents that prove you have taken steps to establish domicile

A declaration is a simple statement that you intend in good faith to return to the United States to resume your domicile.

form i-864 declaration to reestablish us domicile To make the process a little easier, CitizenPath provides a downloadable Microsoft Word template that can be adapted for your use. Download a sample declaration.

Source: USCIS

Have more questions? Submit a request


Powered by Zendesk