The supplemental USCIS forms and supporting documents that you file with your Form I-485, Application to Adjust Status, can vary significantly based on the basis of your application.
- Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status -- This is a required form used to claim the immigrant visa and adjust status to that of a permanent resident (green card holder).
- Form I-864, Affidavit of Support -- This is a required form if your application is based a fiancé or family-based petition. It may also be required if your application is based on an employment petition related to a business that is fiver percent or more by your family. It’s used to show that the Adjustment of Status applicant has adequate means of financial support and is not likely to rely on the U.S. government for financial support.
- Form I-693, Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record -- This is a required form used to establish that the AOS applicant is not inadmissible to the United States on public health grounds. Your USCIS doctor will provide it.
- Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization -- This is an optional form used to request permission to work in the United States. An Adjustment of Status applicant is eligible to request work authorization.
- Form I-131, Application for Travel Document -- This is an optional form used to request an Advance Parole travel document that can be used to re-enter the United States after travel abroad. The Advance Parole is required if you plan to travel abroad.
The descriptions above only provide a brief overview. A birth certificate, copy of your passport, photos and a Notice of Action may also be required with your application. Please consult the USCIS website or your CitizenPath instructions for additional details.
CitizenPath provides simple, affordable, step-by-step guidance through adjustment of status applications. Upon completion we also provide a simple set of filing instructions customized just for you. Individuals, businesses and even attorneys use the service to prepare Form I-485 and all other required immigration forms accurately, avoiding costly delays. CitizenPath allows users to try the service for free and guarantees that USCIS will accept the application or your money back. Try it now.