How do I adjust status if I have a K-1 fiancé visa?


As a K-1 visa holder, it’s very important that you marry your U.S. citizen fiancé within 90 days of entering the United States. It’s equally important that you adjust status to permanent resident (apply for a green card) if you intend to stay in the United States. (Any dependent children that came to the U.S. with a K-2 visa must also adjust status.)

Adjusting status to permanent resident gives you the right to live and work in the U.S. permanently. As the newly married foreign spouse of a U.S. citizen, you will file an adjustment of status packet that includes Form I-485, Application to Adjust Status, and several other related USCIS forms. In order to be eligible to file, the following must be true:

  • You entered the United States with a K-1 visa; and
  • You married the U.S. citizen that sponsored the K-1 visa with 90 days of entering the U.S.; and
  • The K-1 visa has not expired.

Source: USCIS

Have more questions? Submit a request


Powered by Zendesk