Can I travel before my Form I-485 is approved?


If you have filed Form I-485, Application to Adjust Status, and that application is still pending, there are very specific rules that apply to your travel outside the United States. There are no restrictions on domestic travel. (Check your transportation carrier to ensure you bring the appropriate identification.)

If your I-485 adjustment of status application packet is pending, traveling anywhere outside the United States (including brief trips to Canada or Mexico) will lead to the denial of your Form I-485 as abandoned unless:

  • You are an H, L, V or K3/K4 nonimmigrant who is maintaining lawful nonimmigrant status and you return with a valid H, L, V or K3/K4 nonimmigrant visa; or
  • You obtain, before you leave the United States, a grant of advance parole by filing Form I-131, and you are paroled into the United States when you return.

CitizenPath recommends that you file Form I-131, Application for Travel Document, at the same time as your Form I-485. When you file them concurrently, there is no additional USCIS filing fee for Form I-131.

Source: USCIS

Have more questions? Submit a request


Powered by Zendesk