Form G-639, Freedom of Information/Privacy Act Request has four primary uses:
- U.S. citizen or permanent resident requesting his or her own immigration records
- U.S. citizen or permanent resident requesting immigration records of another person
- Non-U.S. citizen or permanent resident requesting his or her own immigration records
- U.S. citizen or permanent resident requesting changes to his or her immigration records
You may also use Form G-639 for other requests. However, you should not file Form G-639 for any of the following reasons:
- To determine the status of a pending application. Instead, call the USCIS National Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5283.
- For consular notification of a visa petition approval. Instead, use Form I-824, Application for Action on an Approved Application or Petition.
- To request the return of original documents. Instead, use Form G-884, Request for Return of Original Documents.
- To request records of naturalization prior to September 27, 1906. Instead, write the clerk of court where the naturalization occurred.
- To request information on USCIS manifest arrivals prior to December 1982. Instead, write the National Archives.
- To obtain proof of status (i.e. Social Security benefit, Selective Service requirement).